Pin torque - project

Carl W. Meyer cmpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:35:57 -0700

I couldn't work w/o air. If all I used it for was blowing the dust off my
garage floor into the driveway it would be worth it.

I bought a Sears 2 hp compressor with a twenty gallon tank about 25 years
ago.It was 220 volts/20 Amps.  A neighbor gave me his 3 hp after it sprung
a leak in the tank. Since it was a later model, it puts out less air than
my 2 hp.  Horse power was okay when only horses had it.  The standard cubic
feet per minute is the only good specification for performance as long as
it is for continuous duty.  I've retired my old one (cost me about 15
dollars a year to own that one.  I bought a 6 hp direct drive a few months
back and sold it after a couple of months due to the terrible noise.  I
understand they don't hold up either.

They play games with specifications.  It was 6 hp at 50% duty cycle.
Wouldn't that be 3 hp at 100%?

I'm now using the 3 hp after fixing the leak.  It puts out 8.6 scfm at 40
psi.
It's pretty quiet and fills my needs for now.  I'd certainly go bigger if I
was going to increase my business.

You can find all kinds of uses for air.  Air works so good for so many
things.  I use a half inch reversible air drill for removing tuning pins.
I think I paid 80 dollars for it. Don't get hot like an electric drill.  I
once routed out the bottom of an antique piano pin block and epoxied a
replacement pinblock from the bottom.  I used a template and a right angle
die grinder.

Now here's an idea I've been wanting to try.  I want to take an air hammer
(like they use for removing mufflers.)  I'll attach a stiff bristle brush
to it and use it to strip ornate pianos.  I can turn the pressure regulator
down to get the action I want and then dip it into stripper and go after
it.  After stripping and refinishing I can dip the brush in a slurry of
rubbing compound and polish the result.  Just one of those ideas floating
in my kidneys that I will try when I get a round tuit.

I suggest you get the largest you can afford.  At least 8-12 cfm  If you
don't have 220 outlets you can plug it into your dryer outlet with an
adaptor.  Get a belt driven model and I prefer the vertical tank.  The
larger the tank the less
moisture will collect. Thirty to sixty gallon would be minimum.  Grainger
has lots of air equip.  Get a pull down hose like they have in the garage
for attaching a blow gun or air tools.  Use quick disconnect fittings on
all hoses and tools so everything will be compatible.  Dayton makes a
variety of fittings.
Call me if you have any specific questions.  It would help if I knew your
set up and your plans to expand and what you plan to do.  408/984-0482
Welcome to the world of air.

Carl Meyer

--- Carl W. Meyer, Santa Clara, Ca.
--- cmpiano@earthlink.net