HT Experience

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:57:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/00 6:21:24 PM Central Daylight Time, it is written:

<< I would agree with that. A healthy portion of prudence is almost always in
 order. :)

 David Ilvedson wrote:

 > I'm all for exploration and will explore HT but lets not get too far ahead
 > of ourselves.
 >
 > David I. >>

Ah Baloney!  I'm 15 years ahead of the rest of you guys and I'll never turn
back.  I never followed anyone's advice, I always did the opposite, just to
see what would happen.  I say, find a big stick and rattle their cages with
it!  What DI says is what they all say and I've heard it a million times.
Nobody ever remembers or talks about a concert where the pianos was as it was
*expected* to be.  You gotta get people up in arms and going up to the piano,
banging on it, holding their ears, shaking their heads, grimacing and walking
out steaming!  Now you're gettin' somewhere!

Richard, try reading section 72.  Read all of the background material and
anecdotes you can.  Thomas Young #1 is what is recommended by Owen for a
first time presentation where Classical music will be played.  What Roger
experienced has been happened many times over.  Try to be the first one where
somebody does *not* *bang* on the F#, B and Db 3rds and proclaim that *this*
is the reason that we *must* always return to ET.

You do some studying and you tell me and the List why this is not a valid way
to listen to the temperament and also why it is not a matter of concern.
Show us why the possibility that someone may come along and play "Body &
Soul" and it would sound just *terrible* is not a reason for dissmissing this
temperament and HT's in general.  Show us that the way you actually play
something like Body & Soul in this kind of temperament makes a difference.
Show us how that song or anything else can be objectionable in ET if the
wrong emphasis is given.  Show us that the "one size does fits all" idea
behind ET can easily work with many different temperaments.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin