Action Analyses (was Capstan Relocation)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:12:33 -0400

Hi Bill. Concerning the posts below. I think the two viewpoints concern
different objectives. The Stanwood/weight
evaluation/optimization/customization of an action takes and EXISTING
physical action, characterizes it, and provides a base for modification if
desired. I think what Ron Overs is referring to when he speaks of starting
with lengths and arcs is the fact that he designed his action with lengths
and arcs (can't do drafting with a weight set and a scale!), and came up
with a great design.

THEORETICALLY, the length and arc thing should work just as good as the
weight-based approach IF everything is properly mathematically
characterized. Likely, with so little friction loss, the Overs action lends
itself well to length/arc characterization, yielding accurate results. Take
you or me with our calipers and rulers, measuring, ESTIMATING capstan/wippen
heel contact points (ya ever look close there - its impossible to tell where
the contact actually is - and it moves through the arcing process! - same
with the knuckle/rep lever/jack contact), etc. Then using the length/arc
analyses and what do we get? Something close - if we measured accurately.

You are right, the weight/scale method bypasses all (with good technique and
accurate equipment) measurement problems, and accurately incorporates the
hard to determine contact points and friction losses. Its the way to go for
sure when you have an action sitting in front of you. It sure is the way
I'll be doing it. However, if I had some great vision of a new kind of
action - I would sit down at the drafting table and brush up on my lengths,
arcs, tangents, vector analyses, etc.

It would though, be interesting to take an existing Overs action and do a
Stanwood analyses on it. Could we/ would we find any surprises?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com