Bolduc Convention Class

Chris Gregg cgregg@cadvision.com
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 09:44:50 -0600

Terry,
	Good questions.  The piano does is my own and is a 48" Canadian no name
instrument.  The reason that I am doing it is partly to prove to myself
that it can be done, and partly because I have a problem doing a bunch of
work to the an instument when the heart of it obviously has serious
trouble.  With this instrument, the board was flat and loose and there were
some serious problems with the bridges. I could have junked it or given it
to a fix er up guy, but but then the piano would always have been a piece
of junk.   An upright board from Andre is $845.00 in Canadian dollars.
(that is about $550.00 US) plus building a crate (Can 30.00), plus shipping
across the country (Can 150.00 each way).   When you consider how much work
we put into these instruments, installing a board is not really that much
more to do.  You should recap the bridges, (Andre will do this for you if
you like), re-locate the bridges, twenty clamps will glue the board in and
the rest is plain sailing.  I shall let you know if it was worth it when I
get some hammers on it.  I am also taking pictures of the process and will
put them on a web site at some stage.

At 08:37 AM 10/22/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Chris. Yes, his boards are very nice. I'm just curious because not many
>folks do much work to old uprights. What kind of upright are you putting a
>board in, and what are the circumstances (is it your piano, yours for future
>resale, a customers, etc. - i.e. how do you justify doing that kind of work
>to an upright)? I should say that I have several old uprights that I plan on
>putting boards in. I just kinda wonder how crazy I am, and what kind of a
>beating I will take on them.

I was not at Arlington, but have taken Andre's classes before.  He does
have good ideas and theories to back them up.  His operation is very
professional.  I had my board back within a month, and it fits like a glove.

Chris.