Hey, It's ALL ET if you say so (was...)

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:31:41 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/00 8:11:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net (Richard Moody) writes:

<< Many maintain that ET couldn't be defined
 until the coincident partials were understood and their beat rates could be
 calculated and that could not happen until after Helmholtz. (1870)  This I
 would call modern ET. However the idea that the circle of fifths in tuning
 each 5th slightly flat would eliminate the wolf has existed since the time
 of Pythagoras.  This is the rudementry form of ET.  Just  how much is
 "exactly flat" has eluded
 theorists until Helmholtz showed that beats of intervals occur between the
 coincident partials.  It is my understanding that Montal described ET
 somewhere between rudementry and modern. >>

Although I respect Ric and all of his writings about this, at times it seems
to me that he wishes he could prove the world is really flat, that this
"round" thing that we have been on to since this Columbus guy and his buddy
Gallileo started fooling around is  really all a big hoax.

On one hand, you may be right, Ric, they were all *trying* to tune ET.  But
guess what?  They still are!  It boils down to the idea that if you
*intended* to tune ET and you *believed* that you did, that is good enough.
There is no reason to study or know about anything else.  If you do, you'll
just get into trouble and you'll create many more questions and problems for
which there will never be any answers or solutions.  But as long as you get
it "kinda, sorta, pretty even" (as a friend of mine used to say), that is all
anybody ever wants.  As long as you can get the tonalities to sound slightly
confused, so you can't distinguish one key from the other, you've got ET!

ET:  Believe in it or wander the earth in an endless quest for the truth and
peace of mind.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin