Was Sohmer now Piano Industry

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:59:51 +0930

Hi Lynn

This is the one question no one should answer. but

In 1900's a piano cost a years wages and every house had one.
It was the HOME ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE. (HEC)

During the last century the industry has been plagued by other invasions
into the HEC, firstly it was the radio, then television, then the one
fingered electronic organ and now the electronic piano.
Of course I have forgotten to mention the other invasions into the HEC. The
pool table, swimming pool, hi fi stereo radio, home entertainment centre
(big screen Dolby surround etc) dvd player, computer, games etc.
as this list goes on I think that you will find that people are still
spending about 1 years wages on the HEC.
So now you have a marketing game to get your share of the HEC market.
This happens to be a new game for most piano manufacturers and its true that
if they don't get there act together the individual manufacturer will be in
trouble. but
Whilst you are looking at sales in America only (or Australia or England or
etc) sales in some Asian and other third world countries is increasing as
their wealth increases.
When I was in China (1991 - 1993) the sale of pianos in China increased by
800%. And so it goes.
In my opinion pianos have become too cheap, it costs money to make a good
piano and cheap pianos sound cheap. The industry needs to look more to
quality of sound and performance. By the industry I mean the total industry,
from manufacturer to showroom floor salesperson and to the music teacher.
Sure, I sell a lot of used pianos because in some cases they sound better
than the new ones, in other cases they are cheaper but perform just as well
for the beginner. I also sell a few new pianos because the situation or
customer warrants it.
The industry will not die, but it will change.

Can you imagine a Concert Pianist performing on stage on a Clavinova ?

Tony Caught ICPTG
Australia
caute@optusnet.com.au