tuning question

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:13:34 +0100

In article <009c01c03db3$b81fb560$d1165c18@tampabay.rr.com>, Farrell
<mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com> writes
>I'm just jealous of some of you folks. I'm not quite in the 40,000-serviced
>piano catagory yet (still working on my first 1,000 - although likely
>getting close!), and a couple pitch raises and a good tuning in an hour or
>so is FAST! Also, I try to work pretty fast doing a pitch raise on a newer
>piano, or one that is not very flat, but as the piano gets older (old
>uprightitis) crustier, I tend to take a good half hour on a big pitch raise
>pass - largely to try & be careful to not break strings or whatever.

I would say that most tuners are the same, the older the piano the
slower we go.  Speed come naturally - most of the very fast tuners I
know worked in factory's and you had to be fast to make your money. Not
the same now, all the hi-output  piano factory's use ETA's and the
operative only do part of the pin bending. However, speed is OK in the
workshop or on the first few passes of a large pitch,  but for your
normal tuning, being  too fast  can work against you, with the great
unwashed - if you do the world finest tuning in 30 mins they will not
appreciate it.
If all who came before you, took over an hour.

5% of out job is tuning the piano 95% of it, is fine tuning the client.

Barrie,