my data requests

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:03:12 -0500

Billbrpt,

At 09:33 10/24/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/24/00 8:20:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
>hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu (Conrad Hoffsommer) writes:
>
><< Wrong! What it did was to show that _your_ ET was a pretty good RW.
>   >>

>Now you are caught!  This statement shows that even you do not understand
>what a backwards version of a Well-Tempered tuning would be.

Darn! Busted!! YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!  A better way of saying what I
was thinking might be that if your RW passed the ET test at 82.5%, then the
reverse would also be true.  Had you set RW as the standard, your ET would
have passed as 82.5% of RW. N'est-ce pas?

If you are referring to the fact that I couldn't look at that bunch of
numbers and deduce that you had tuned an obverse well rather than a reverse
one, YOU ARE RIGHT!!  There I said it.  Happy?

When I tune, I use my ears.  I do not watch die blinkenlights.  I do not
watch a needle swing back and forth. I do not watch a cat-eye blink at me.
I do not punch numbers in a box. I listen. Your numbers are as intelligible
to me as Sanscrit.

If I had had the opportunity to HEAR what you refer to as Reverse Well at
Arlington, perhaps I would be able to say if I do indeed tune RW as you
suspect.  You, however, chose not to appear at the convention and teach
your promised class. I had been planning to go to that class. How can I
know the truth if you are not there to deliver it?

>One of the assertions I've been interested in documenting is that the
>aural tuners who talk the way you do about ET vs. HT almost always tune
>RW.  90% if not more.

Post a workable protocol and I'm sure an experiment could be done.

>   Post the numbers from one of your aural ET's and we'll see if that
>applies to you, which I strongly suspect it does.

Here are numbers from six:

379423  449829  477425  379590  279122  329612

The only numbers I see while I am tuning are the instrument serial numbers,
which I doubt would help either one of our arguments.

>Read the first page of Owen's book and BELIEVE IT OR STUFF IT!

Oh, OK.  I'll look...

 From "Tuning" - Owen Jorgensen
Preface, p.xxi, paragraph 3:

"As late as 1889, a knowledgeable authority wrote that "some discrimination
is commonly used in favor of certain keys less favored."

Would this perhaps be Alexander Ellis who on page 2 is quoted as saying
"Not one of the old tuners Mr Hipkins knew... tuned anything like equal
temperament."?

I prefer to see what Owen Jorgensen, himself, wrote more than a century
later, in 1991.  Back in the preface, paragraph 4, he states: "Modern
technicians are capable of doing theoretically exact mathematical tempering."

So, Bill, are you really quoting Owen as the source of the inability to
tune ET, or are you actually quoting Ellis refering to Hipkins?  Correct
me, please, if I have zeroed in on the wrong quote.

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
then used against you.