explaining Pitch raise....

piano lover88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 09:31:46 PDT

I'm wondering if the best way to explain a pitch raise to a customer, is to
NOT bring it up in the first place..at least not over the phone when your
making initial contact. In the past, when asked my tuning fee, I would first
ask: "how long ago was your piano tuned?" If the answer was "more than a
year", or "i can't remember", I would mention that their piano may need a
pitch raise, which cost roughly 1/2 the tuniing fee. Then THEIR their
questions and MY explaining begins! Usually they do not object, but it's
getting really tiring trying to explain the procedure to each and every
customer over the phone. I'm thinking maybe I should not even mention it
until I actually SEE the piano, and assess the situation. Then, if a pitch
raise is indicated, I can at least SHOW the customer what is necessary to
bring the piano "into the ballpark".  I'm curious to know how other members
of this list handle the P.R. question. Thanks!

Terry Peterson
Associate Member PTG
Los Angeles, CA