Action Analyses (was Capstan Relocation)

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:01:50 -0200

while elsewhere Del F. wrote:

> ...it is rare to find any manufacturer offering a piano that actually
> has better performance than did its predecessors, especially its
> predecessors of, say, 75 to 100 years ago...Indeed, it is rare to
> find one that performs as well...Why is the piano industry --
> seemingly alone in the manufacturing world -- stuck in this mindset?
> Who knows?

I don't know why Darrell Fandrich's or Clarence Hickman's grand actions
haven't been implemented, or why after over fourty years Chickering
dropped Edwin Brown's (I'm not sure I'd like to venture a guess, either,
where it may be some time before my impressions have more substantial
backing). Meanwhile, I thoroughly enjoy (and take to heart) this quote
from Ron Overs:

> Perhaps the writer to which you refer used a word processor to
> achieve his test results, as opposed to the other alternative -
> building an action model.

Regards,

Clark