Teen tuner

Kristinn Leifsson istuner@islandia.is
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:15:33 +0000

Good evening Antares,

Drum roll,
Iīm somewhere around the 1000 mark, when I take together everything.  I
donīt have it exactly documented.

Please, bear with me people, I feel the need to include the rest of what
Iīm about to write.

I tuned my first whole piano 2 1/2 months after starting the studies, (in 3
hrs 50min still remember that), got good results, 84 % I think, judged by
my teacher somehow.
Took a final tuning test in the Emil Fries School of Piano Tuning and
Technology after 4 months and scored a 95%, again judged somehow by my very
experienced teacher (RPT).
I had been around this business and listened to my father tune a lot before
I started studying so I grasped it in a shorter time than average.

After I got home from the States I tuned for a concert 3 months later that
was eventually broadcasted on the national radio.

I still remember how proud I was.  I had tears in my eyes.

I heard many people in the intermission talking about "how beautiful" it
sounded, and I KNEW that I had something to do with that.
After the concert I met the pianist, and he thanked me.
"Thank you.  This was very good. VERY good", he said.
I saw he was a bit surprised because he is also a piano teacher at a
conservatory that I had been going to as a piano student.

Another gratifying experience was around my 19th birthday.

The Queen of Denmark was visiting the country, and the aforementioned trio,
(The Reykjavík Trio) was to be performing at the presidential mansion.
That day being close to my birthday I "demanded" from my father to get the
tuning, for a birthday present, which he couldnīt legitimately refuse...

I went and tuned (for the Queen), and the day after the pianist called my
father, (actually he was calling for me because he also happened to be my
teacher, but a very respected pianist here also)

"I wanted to thank you for the tuning, it was very good.  You tuned, didnīt
you?", he said.
"No, I sent Kristinn"
"Kristinn ???"

That felt veeeeeryyyy good.  I didnīt mind having my work confused with my
fatherīs.

I wouldnīt be afraid at all to let you hear some of the CDīs Iīve tuned for.
So I believe I can stand comparison in that matter.
Thereīs one coming out in a few weeks, but Iīve heard it.  Itīs the
Reykjavík Trio performing  Beethoven and Dvorák, as well as a piece by an
Icelandic composer.  Great stuff.

I bow in respect to you old guys/gals.
Like Newton said so beautifully upon hearing of my lack of degeneration,
"This guyīs too young to know ANYTHING!!!)

But I can do a very good tuning.

I still have a long way to go before Iīm a concert regulator and voicer,
but thatīs nothing but normal Iīd say, so I donīt feel ashamed of that.
I have a long time left to learn.

Thatīs as honest as I can be, Antares.
Thanks for bearing with me, sorry for the corny stuff, but I had to do it
for the credibility.

Kristinn