Harpsichord

Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:31:33 -0500

Ed,

> >  Am I an idiot for thinking that tuning pianos prepares me for tuning a
> >harpsichord?

No, not at all.  In addition to what Kevin wrote about the tools you'll
need, I must warn you of something.

You might just find that it is far _easier_ to heard beats, especially for
the smaller intervals.  If you are tuning a Historical Temperament aurally,
you may be called upon to hear the beats of a large major second.  Due to
the rich harmonic content of the harpsichord, the upper harmonics needed
are stronger than on a normal piano.

The tension on the strings is quite a bit less than piano, and since the
strings are plucked rather than struck, "setting the pin" is a
non-issue >>>as long as you don't bend the pin!!<<<  To avoid this, I would
advise the t-handle.

Fewer strings also speed up the process.  I have two hours scheduled this
morning for a double manual, a virginals (small single) and a fortepiano  -
one in well, one in ET, one in meantone.   If no plectra need replacing,
I'll have plenty of time left over. I haven't noticed that strings break
any more often than on pianos, but plectra do.

Good luck, and enjoy, but also be warned that when you start on that first
piano afterwards, it will seem LOUD.

Conrad