...a simpler digital player???

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 07:48:44 -0400

>Someone recently asked me about a digital player retrofit, which he heard
>about, that doesn't need to be installed beneath the grand keybed, doesn't
>require removal of the piano to a shop for installation, and somehow sits on
>top of the piano (or the keys).  He also said that the piano can't be played
>manually while this beast is engaged.
>
>Have any of you heard of such a thing??
>
>Matt, NY

I don't know about anything new, or digital, like that, but there was
a mechanism like that -- possibly from Wurlitzer -- that could be
placed on the keyboard. One of my player/reproducer piano customers
had one.
There was also something called a "Vorsetzer" (sp?) which was used in
factories to "pound in" new actions. Usually they played a cacophony
of arpeggios, but perhaps they were programmable for real tunes.
Probably you should cross post this to the MITA list.

Patrick Draine