...a simpler digital player???

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:58:55 -0400

>>Someone recently asked me about a digital player retrofit, which he heard
>>about, that doesn't need to be installed beneath the grand keybed, doesn't
>>require removal of the piano to a shop for installation, and somehow sits on
>>top of the piano (or the keys).  He also said that the piano can't be played
>>manually while this beast is engaged.
>>
>>Have any of you heard of such a thing??

>There was also something called a "Vorsetzer" (sp?) which was used in
>factories to "pound in" new actions. Usually they played a cacophony
>of arpeggios, but perhaps they were programmable for real tunes.

The only currently available system that I know of is from QRS. It sits on
top of the keyboard, rests on the cheek blocks and has plungers that
depress the keys. Sort of the same thing that an installed system does only
the solenoids fire down from the top front of the keys where your fingers
normally do instead of the back underside of the keys.

The benefits of it are that it is portable and can be carried in and placed
on a regular piano. The people at QRS/ Story & Clark tell me that some
dealers rent the unit out, allowing people to have a player for a party.

As far as the Vorsetzer or whatever. I was at Web Phillips shop (Allied
Piano) who showed me something just like that. He uses it to break in a
piano after a rebuild. It stretches the strings, compacts the felts, etc.
allowing him to do longer lasting tuning and regulation.

BTW, another tip he had that I thought was excellent. When he's going out
to replace a string he hangs the string up with a weight about the same as
the tension the string will have when installed. This helps pre-stretch the
string so it doesn't go out of tune as much.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.dprint.com/grafton/
gleng@fast.net
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.