muffler felt for grands

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:05:07 -0700

Larry,

I've seen (on some of the gray markets) the muffler device that Yamaha
made for their domestic grands. The construction is not easy to describe
in words, but basically there is a rod suspended just below the damper
guide rail which is operated by a cable (with a "T" handle located where
you might expect the hood release in a car). There are arms, two per
each section, projecting away from the rod, normally in the 6 o'clock
position, that snap to the 9 o'clock position (looking from the treble
end) when the T handle is pulled. Felt pieces are attached to the arms
and are supported by a framework, possibly wire but I couldn't tell, so
that there is no sagging of the felt.

I've been meaning to take some measurements of this system because it
works so well. Since Yamaha is not making them anymore, it might be
worth it see if we can come up with a reasonable facsimile. I work for a
dealer that sells gray market Yamahas so I should see one soon.

Tom Cole