Left pedal / center pin thingy

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:47:27 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/00 8:24:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
istuner@islandia.is writes:

<< I tuned a Gratiae piano, made in North Korea.  They´re not as bad as you´d
 think.
 What I noticed is that throughout the piano there were center pins in butt
 flanges migrating all over the place.

 I know the owner quite well, and he uses the left pedal a lot.  I mean, he
 literally stands on it.

 What I was thinking is whether there is a chance that abnormal impact on
 the butts from the jacks might result in a kind of nudging effect in
 time.  He uses the piano a lot, I´ve tuned many of these pianos but haven´t
 seen this problem in them before.
 Maybe a slightly crooked jack could cause this.

 So waddaya think?

 Should I nuke them all?

 Kristinn

First question I have, why is he using the soft pedal so much? It might be
easier to get him to stop using it, than fixing an abnormal problem. If he
insists, my best solution is to put a center pin guard on each flange. You
know, the little alumimumunum thingy that fits over the flange. Maybe if you
tell him it will cost X number of kronin, (or what ever the currency is in
Iceland), he might want to take his foot of the pedal.

Willem