...a simpler digital player???

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:51:49 EDT

It is called the Playola, and is made by QRS Pianomation.  It weighs about
30 pounds and sits on the key blocks. It is like an upside down Pianomation
system, as 80 solenoids have little plungers that strike the keys from
above. Since it does not have pedal solenoids, like the old Pianocorder
Vorsetzers, it emulates the damper by holding down the key.  My father and I
went to see this system this summer, and our conclusion was that it was far
better to install the Pianomation system for several reasons:
1) my father thinks it is ugly, so much so, it is distracting
2) the sustain sounds better when all the dampers rise, not just the one you
need
3)The system cost $1745 whereas the Playola costs $3,100.

However, for versatility, it is great.  I think it would be a neat thingee
to have to take to church, or parties, etc. and play that extensive QRS
library or other assorted MIDI files.

You can check it out on the Pianomation web site at:
http://www.pianomation.com/cutsheets/q3p2prd2.htm

Carol Beigel