SD-10 Problem

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:39:57 -0700

At 10:58 PM 10/25/2000 -0600, Roger wrote:

>Muting the forward duplex, greatly reduces the projection, the groove in
>the forward bar, reduces sustain and power.

With the SD10 I work on, I have used no muffling at all in the duplex
wire itself, but there is a thin strip of felt under the strings near
the grooved section, on the tuning pin side. I also loaded the grooves
with graphite (from a 6B pencil) which improved rendering and, I think,
the tone as well, though I'm not sure why it would.

I feel that if one gets the termination piece surface good, and gets fresh
wire against the bearing and bridge pins, one shouldn't need to muffle
the duplex by weaving things into it. The tone is a lot more interesting,
IMHO, if the duplex is free.

Susan