SD-10 Problem

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:52:50 -0600

Hi Susan,

One of the most magnificent pianos I ever heard was a Mason and Hamlin 9
foot. I was amazed at how wonderful it sounded. I was also *very* shocked
when I looked and saw that the front scaling had been muted off in the two
treble sections. I have always wondered, when it sounded *so* lovely with
the duplex muted, how much *more* might have been *had* from it.

At 10:39 PM 10/25/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>At 10:58 PM 10/25/2000 -0600, Roger wrote:
>
>>Muting the forward duplex, greatly reduces the projection, the groove in
>>the forward bar, reduces sustain and power.
>
>With the SD10 I work on, I have used no muffling at all in the duplex
>wire itself, but there is a thin strip of felt under the strings near
>the grooved section, on the tuning pin side. I also loaded the grooves
>with graphite (from a 6B pencil) which improved rendering and, I think,
>the tone as well, though I'm not sure why it would.
>
>I feel that if one gets the termination piece surface good, and gets fresh
>wire against the bearing and bridge pins, one shouldn't need to muffle
>the duplex by weaving things into it. The tone is a lot more interesting,
>IMHO, if the duplex is free.
>
>Susan

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com