Has the piano improved?

Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:27:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Lillico, RPT" <staytuned@idirect.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 25, 2000 8:06 PM
Subject: Re: Has the piano improved?

> Lynn,
>
> Are you for real?  You must have mixed your seasons, therefore I've
changed the subject from Sohmer to winter, so to speak.

> Today's average new piano is much better than the average of even 30 or 60
years ago.

> I believe their are fewer cheap vs. average pianos built today than there
were prior to 1930. This raises the profile of the average piano to better
than average on the old scale, but still average today. This should result
in greater satisfaction for us in performing our tasks.

> As for the other two seasons you've overlooked, spring and fall, they're
still there, too, working faithfully as ever.

> John Lillico, RPt
> Oakville, Ontario

Please note, in my discussion about Sohmer I was not referring to its build
quality, but to its design.

I agree with John, many of today's lower cost pianos are built much
better -- they are better dollar values -- than were their processors.

But their acoustical design still leaves much to be desired.  And much to be
accomplished.

Regards,

Del