SD-10 Problem

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:36:09 -0600

HI Ron,
            I am very comfortable living with Harold Conklin's opinion, and
the like's of Dave Brubeck and Earl Wild. The feature is there for a
reason, part of what make's that piano a Baldwin.
All piano parts degrade with time, and need service.
My opinion may be biased, since I work for the company on a contract basis,
but I feel a performance piano should be serviced in a manner to have the
tone quality and projection, working at optimum.
In Saskatchewan I run across so many pianos, (all makes and models) with
both the front and back scale taped off with sticky tape, and the
customer's ask why.
Once removed, some reshaping and voicing of hammers,  the vast majority of
customers are very happy. And the problem is fixed for another few years.
I think we should tackle the problem not mask it. IMHO
Regards Roger

>Hi Roger,
>Who's well informed opinion is best? All of us highly educated
>professionals seem to be working from considerably different accumulated
>experience and data sets, so who makes the decision? I seem to remember a
>phrase or two to the effect that us field techs don't have the luxury of
>redesigning the thing, but have to work with what we have. As a working
>field tech, I've braided off front duplexes without a qualm. After
>expll parts of a laining to a customer with a noise complaint, where their
noise is
>coming from, and quoting approximate prices for "fixes" carrying different
>time requirements and success probabilities against the expected
>diminishment (or not) of the tonal "support" of the front duplex, the
>decision is usually to take the quick and cheap expedient of muting the
>thing. It's reversible, and given the time (bought by the immediate
>elimination of the noise they complained about in the first place) to mull
>over the possibilities of getting that noise back (HOPEFULLY {no
>guarantees} mutated into a supportive, rather than conflictive mode), they
>have, by a fairly convincing majority of 100%, considered the process to be
>a net gain and left the mute in. When it's a matter of annoyance
>elimination/unrealized potential, most will opt for  the greatest relief
>for the buck.
>

>Ron N

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.