SD-10 Problem

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:09:41 -0500

Jim, Roger, and Susan,

I feel compelled to chime in on this issue. I worked with many, many
SF-10's and SD-10's for years. The "noise" coming from the termination
pieces is there for a good reason, and muting off the front duplex serves
no purpose. Once the piano is in tune, the hammers fitted correctly to
the strings and voiced, the SD-10 can  "speak" quite clearly and
beautifully in the treble range. Getting to that point, however, may
require some temporary muting (as Jim stated); but once there the SD-10
is better off without any muting.

Another thing that helps to clarify the sound coming from the front
duplex is to take a brass rod and tap down the leading edges of the waste
string on both sides of the front termination bearing point. This puts a
slight bend on the string and eliminates a little of the vibration coming
from the steel bearing point.

Regards,

Charles Faulk RPT
Manhattan, KS