Piano Industry

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:05:00 EDT

> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:12:52 EDT
> From: JIMRPT@AOL.COM
> Subject: Re:  Re: Was Sohmer now Piano Industry
>
> Mitch;
> Darned!! I wish I had said this! :-) But not having said it, it is too good
> not to repeat.
> Jim Bryant (FL)
>

> Mitch Ruth said:
> <<"Lamenting the piano's fall from primacy in family entertainment is all
> right, but we've got to deal with what is and not be afraid of the new
> technology. I am using new technology and new teaching techniques to endear
> 300 year old instrument to kids that also love Gameboys and DVD players.
> Why?
> Because the educational value of playing the piano is great and if I want
> do these children a little good by teaching them how to play, I've got to
> be
> willing to try instead of cry.">>

Mitch, Jim and List,

Excellent points are made in the above copy.  As a professor in a music
department with a very active Class Piano program (4 semesters offered,
usually full each semester, including multiple sections) may I offer an
observation?  We have 16 full-keyboard, weighted key electronic pianos
networked to computers and the teacher's station at the front of the room.
For most purposes, they are used with headphones, also connected to the
teacher's station, so that the teacher can contact and discuss with one
student, or any combination of students.  We require these classes of all
music majors, but we offer them as "Leisure Keyboard" for non-majors as well.
 What frequently happens is that students then come to us for advice
concerning the purchase of pianos (apparently they like the whole idea!) and
questions about pianotechs to care for them (we try hard to teach them
well!).  They also realize that after 7 or 8 years of hard use in a lab
situation, even the best of electronic keyboards begin to break down--we are
currently replacing an eight year old lab for that reason.  Plus the fact
that parts availability is not great for most electronic pianos after a few
short years.  But students DO realize that when they are ready to buy, they
are best advised to look for a real piano.

The future is here.........and it has MANY possibilities.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL