SD-10 Clarification

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 20:23:12 -0700

    OK, I've read most of your posts, and I need some clarification. On most
grands, You have (back to front) the rear duplex, the speaking length, and
between the capo bar and the pressure bar is the front duplex. Then you have
a nice thick piece of understring felt. On these Baldwins you have the same
set up, but where the understring felt is, you have a piece of bushing
cloth, which doesn't even touch the strings. So, in effect, you have two
front duplexes. If you think about each note, you have a front pin, a middle
tuning pin, and a rear pin. Three different string lengths, with some not
the same length proportionate because the waste length is shorter where some
tuning pins are closer than others, and the string actually touches the next
tuning pin. No harmonics involved here, just one more string segment
vibrating along with the real front and rear duplexes.
    Maybe it sounds different out in the audience, but it can really sound
bad when you're trying to tune one. Should I not worry about this. I swear,
when I would play a note, and then touch the front (I'll call it waste
length) the sound became cleaner, and more pleasing.
    By the Way, thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to meet you guys in
Reno.
Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
Phoenix, Arizona
ramsey@extremezone.com