Stumped

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:06:13 -0700

Omigod, it's a birdcage!

That was my first reaction.  How did I fail to catch the signals or ask
the right questions on the phone?  At second glance, however, it wasn't
that bad.  A Berlin-made F. Weber #9505, although the name Schober was
under the keystop rail.  Almost pristine condition and good
workmanship.  Just needed a little tuning, regulating, and fix the loose
hammers and sticking jacks.

Time to remove the action.  A couple of pins release the action posts at
the top, pivot forward and out she comes, right?  OK, the pins are out,
why won't it pivot or lift out?  Because each post is screwed to another
panel jutting up from the key frame, that's why.  Three screws in each
post, going in from the side.  Not even enough space for an angled
screwdriver.  So...the screws were already in when the action was
mounted.  OK then, the panels themselves come out, still attached to the
posts.  Some detective work and removal of the kickboard reveal a screw
from underneath going through the very back of the key frame up into
each vertical panel.  Once removed...still won't budge.  There's another
screw somewehere farther forward where the frame is resting on the key
bed.

OK, so the whole action, including keyframe and keys slides out, right?
But how?  No screws holding the cheek blocks from under the key bed or
any other place that I can see.  Looks like it's screwed in from under
the key frame, which is resting on the key bed.  And the keyslip looks
like it's screwed into the key frame back to front.  I removed a few
keys to see if there are any screws accessible that way, but found
nothing.  Everything is as solid as a rock, but what's holding it in
place?

Anyone got a clue?

Paul S. Larudee, RPT
Richmond, CA