Finish question

Glenn Grafton gleng@fast.net
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:36:33 -0400

Rook wrote:

>There is a Black Satin Ebony piano that has made its way onto the dealer
>floor that I do work for. It's only 2 years old, but the finish of it is
>'rough' from moving and general usage.

snip

Any help with procedure
>in cleaning up the finish would be appreciated.

If the finish just has surface scratches try the following:

Wet down the surface with a soapy water* solution (Windex works ok)
Sprinkle Pumice stone over the finish.
Take a 0000 pad of steel wool and lightly even out the mix.
Rub the finish out with long even strokes, with the grain of the original
rubbing.
Take care at the edges to extend the stroke so they're not missed.
Wipe down with the grain again to clean off the slop and check.
Re-rub areas that aren't uneven.
(The same procedure can be used for a higher gloss satin finish can be used
but substitute rotten stone. Rotten stone, rub cut oil and a cloth will
give the glossier satin finish, pumice stone, water and 000stell wool will
give the dullest sheen)

If possible, experiment with your technique on a scrap piano bench lid.

*If it's a polyester finish and is not cracked. If it's lacquer you may
want to use Mohawk's rub cut oil, which is made specifically for this.

If there are deeper scratches they may need to be sanded out first.
If deep, start with 400 wet or dry sandpaper & rub cut oil-sanding with the
grain.
Move to 600 sandpaper to remove the sanding marks caused by the 400 paper.
Finish with rubbing out in prior paragraph.
If sanding will not remove the scratches and a perfect finish is desired,
it's more involved and more a job for someone experienced with touch up and
refinishing.

Be careful when sanding with the 400. If it's a lacquer finish you get rid
of the scratches but rub through to the primer. To check if it's lacquer,
take some lacquer thinner on a rag and rub a small area inside the case
where there is ebony finish on. If there's black on the rag it's lacquer.

Bear in mind that these are different skills and sort of like a refinisher
asking how to voice a piano.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
http://www.dprint.com/grafton/
gleng@fast.net
800-272-5980

The box said "Requires Windows 95, or better." So I bought a Macintosh.