Stumped

larudee@pacbell.net larudee@pacbell.net
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:27:38 -0700

Newton,

Yes, the pins at the top of the action posts testify that they intended
to make action removal reasonably easy.  I didn't have time to look
under all the key fronts.  There is a small sticker attached to the
wippens which goes into sockets in the keys and makes key removal and
reinsertion somewhat more cumbersome.  (The stickers pivot sideways as
well as front to back because the hammer assembly shifts with the una
corda, but not the keys.)  I looked for buttons, dowels and plugs
(none).  Next time I'll check under the rest of the key fronts, but
there was nothing going sideways into the key blocks and nothing at the
back of the blocks either.  As far as I could tell there was nothing
under the key bed, but there has to be something somewhere, right?  The
whole case, keyblocks and keyslip are covered in a beautiful walnut
marquetry veneer, so I didn't want to force anything too much.  The odd
thing is that everthing seems to be attached to everything else.
There's no give anywhere.  Usually I can move something just a little
bit to see where it's attached, but this thing is like chiseled out of
marble.  Maybe I just need some open-ended time with it.  And yes, next
time I'll look behind the piano.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Paul