SD-10 Problem

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:29:52 +0200

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> David Ilvedson wrote:
>
> > Don't you think that a lot of the jangles we hear in pianos are caused by
> > hard hammers bringing out the high partials which cause the duplex (tuning
> > pin side between capo and pressure bar)to ring out more than designed?
>
> Hi David,
>      A couple of weeks ago I heard Roger Jollys' excellent four part voicing
> class in Cincinnati.  I, like you, always assumed that hard hammers produced
> stronger upper partials than soft ones do.  Roger Jolly demonstrated otherwise
> using his RCT Pianalyzer on hammers in the killer octave zone. I came home and
> tried this with my own RCT and found the same. --hard hammers in the killer
> octave produced weak or non existent upper partials.
> Go Figure,
> -Mike

Hmmm.... maybe but I do notice that voicing down very often improves the
situation. Some other affect of hard hammers maybe. Best results I ever got was
with a Bohemia piano... a twist on the Petrof scheme. This has some kind of
brassish looking insert for the capo bar. Fairly sharp profile. Interesting enough
there is virtually no string breakage on this heavily used instrument, and after 3
years of such use no visible grooving of the insert. When the hammers get banged
on for a while tho... the front duplex starts screaming. A quick zap of steam near
the crown on both sides does the trick every time.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.