SD-10 Clarification

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:36:09 -0600

Hi Kevin,
             I had re read your post yesterday, and went searching for some
note's that I had made after a conversation with Harold Conklin, (25yrs ogo)
I'm a pack rat.
The woven bushing felt was put there to reduce resonant interaction from the
plate and string.
Behind the note I put a series of question marks. Not sure if I understood, or
was just sceptical.
Just some extra trivia.
Roger

At 08:23 PM 26/10/00 -0700, you wrote:

>     OK, I've read most of your posts, and I need some clarification. On most
> grands, You have (back to front) the rear duplex, the speaking length, and
> between the capo bar and the pressure bar is the front duplex. Then you have
> a nice thick piece of understring felt. On these Baldwins you have the same
> set up, but where the understring felt is, you have a piece of bushing
cloth,
> which doesn't even touch the strings. So, in effect, you have two front
> duplexes. If you think about each note, you have a front pin, a middle
tuning
> pin, and a rear pin. Three different string lengths, with some not the same
> length proportionate because the waste length is shorter where some tuning
> pins are closer than others, and the string actually touches the next tuning
> pin. No harmonics involved here, just one more string segment vibrating
along
> with the real front and rear duplexes.
>     Maybe it sounds different out in the audience, but it can really sound
> bad when you're trying to tune one. Should I not worry about this. I swear,
> when I would play a note, and then touch the front (I'll call it waste
> length) the sound became cleaner, and more pleasing.
>     By the Way, thanks for the feedback. Can't wait to meet you guys in
Reno.

> Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
> Phoenix, Arizona
> <mailto:ramsey@extremezone.com>ramsey@extremezone.com