EBVT - the numbers

Sat, 28 Oct 2000 16:48:15 +0200

Robert Scott wrote:

> Richard Moody writes:

> That is true.  If you follow aural instructions based on beats you
> will be able to achieve results defined by the beats that you set.
> But what I am trying to do is translate those aural instructions into
> 12 offsets in cents from equal temperament for use in electronic
> tuning devices.  If the partial used by the ETD is not the same as the
> partial used in making the beat that set the note, then the offset of
> that partial from its ET counterpart is dependent on inharmonicity.

My understanding was that one first sampled a few notes to figure what basic
inharmonicity traits there were.... then calculate a temperament on that. I
think RCT first figures an equal temperament based on these samplings, then
translates this to whatever historic temperament one wants based on the ET just
calculated.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.