438 in old uprights

Lynn Rosenberg Lynn@eznet.net
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:50:24 -0400

Well, I have tuned many old upright pianos to a 440.  For example, I
restrung and rebuilt an 1890s Sohmer upright, and it holds a440 fine, and
tune it once a year.  Those old pianos were so designed with good back
posts, plate and scale designs tha they could stand a444. I used to work for
a local piano dealer, they have since closed, changed they're name, and
reopened, but I tuned 3 Whitney spinets that were a half tone sharp.  If
those cheap pianos can take a450 or higher, than old uprights, if
structurely sound, and have good strings and bridges can take a440.  Lynn