Petrov 125 IV noise problems

Sun, 29 Oct 2000 15:02:11 +0100

Sounds familiar alright... and it can be a difficult thing to track down. A few
hints that might be of help, tho your discription of the noise could point to just
about anything really.

Check the bridge notching to make sure that strings have plenty clearance moveing
off the bridge from any and all possible contact with the bridge.. especially along
the side of the right string.

Also check to see if there is any chips of wood laying jamed around in the string
area. As far as the dampers go... the usual stuff applies.. make sure the system is
regulated correctly with the pedal pulling the dampers out just a tad more then the
depression of a key will, and make sure the stop rail is screwed tightly in place
and that its not to far in. Also check the screws that hold the letoff button rail
in place, and that this hasnt moved around any. Also check the damper lift rod
hinges.. probably not the problem but its worth a check.

>From the sounds of things something is contacting the strings when they are allowed
to really vibrate at full amplitude. I even saw a Petrof come in once that had the
damper system regulated such that the lower end of the damper lever was so close to
the strings that many of them would actually contact the strings when the key was
depressed... lovely regulation stuff..

Good luck and drop another line when you have solved it, or need some more thought
bouncing.

Grin... Wim of course doesnt have to deal with these Petrofs... for some strange
reason all of the Petrofs that come into his store are in perfect condition and are
almost as good as the best of European pianos for a quarter of the price...

sorry Wim... couldnt help myself... all in fun... besides... I know why you like
them.. they do have a pretty nice overall sound.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.