Piano Industry

Lynn Rosenberg Lynn@eznet.net
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:48:09 -0500

No I don't underestimate plastic.  I have a Chevrolet Lumina van, and =
the body is plastic.  I don't know why they discontinued making them.  I =
was told that they can't make the plastic panels fast enough.  The =
Saturn is still being made.  Plastic piano cases, molded with plastic =
sound boards?? boy just snap together like toys and away you go.  Even =
change piano styling by snapping on panels.  Lynn Rosenberg

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Bondi=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2000 12:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Piano Industry

  Lynn, don't underestimate the potential of plastic in pianos..yea..I =
know plastic has gotten a bad rap in our beloved pianos, but that is =
'usually' because the quality of the plastic itself was inferior for the =
part..Plastic exterior in cars is here to stay..it's =
lighter..cheaper..safer(?)..I think the jury might still be out on that =
one.
  =20
  If the chemical engineers of today and the future can make plastic =
move sound the way wood can, it won't take the molders long to replicate =
a Grand Piano Mold to try it out.
  =20
  A former Plastics guy,
  =20
  Rook

    Hi john, you're right, 100 years for trees etc. As long as I can =
work for another 25 years, after that I don't care, because I'll =
probably will retire.  I know that they have used plastic in cars.  I =
wonder if we'll ever see molded plastic piano cases?? Then the price =
might really go down and probably quallity.  Lynn