Formaldehyde glue

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:39:15 EST

In a message dated 10/29/00 8:15:04 PM Central Standard Time,
zahrprice@earthlink.net writes:

<< My problem is that old glue.  I know there is no way I could clean all,
 or even most, of it out of a gap that's barely 1/4 inch wide.  And the
 granule are so hard I'm sure they would prevent the two surfaces from
 being clamped together effectively.  Does anyone know of a way to soften
 or dissolve formaldehyde glue?  Can it be "reactivated"?  If it were
 softened or partly liquefied, would it interfere chemically with other
 glue, like Titebond?  Based on what little I know about formaldehyde
 glue, I'm not sure I want to use it in my shop.

 Ken Zahringer, RPT
 Columbia, MO

>From what I remember, formaldehyde glue is "nuked" to cure. They heated it
with microwaves. I guess that is the way it has to be dissolved too. It would
appear that this piano might be a lost cause.

Willem