Petrov 125 IV noise problems

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:57:43 +0100

Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 10/29/00 8:28:12 AM Central Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>
> << From the sounds of things something is contacting the strings when they
> are allowed  to really vibrate at full amplitude. I even saw a Petrof come in
> once that
> had the  damper system regulated such that the lower end of the damper lever
> was so
> close to  the strings that many of them would actually contact the strings
> when the
> key was depressed... lovely regulation stuff.
>
> After reading this post, this is what I am suspecting might be the problem.
> How do you solve it?  I would think reducing the swing of the damper rod,
> and/or actually shaving off some of the damper level wood. Before doing
> anything drastic, however, I think you should call Alan Vincent at Geneva
> International 800-533-2388, to explain the problem, and get permission to do
> any work. .

What I did was to completely regulate the dampers. Had to bend all the damper
wires out a bit so that I had a rough regulation (very rough) that had the
bottom part of the lever in a more reasonable distance from the string. Then it
was bending the  spoons in rough so they were out of the way for basic pedal
lift adjustment. Evened out the pedal adjustment, adjusted the pedal itself  and
then regulated the spoons.

A bit time consuming, and shoulda been unnecessary, but hey... thats why they
pay us the big bucks... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.