"guarantee...?"

Douglasmahard@AOL.COM Douglasmahard@AOL.COM
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:14:39 EST

In a message dated 10/30/2000 12:22:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

<<  got a call tonight from a customer who told me that his piano has "kind
of
 gone out of tune." This particular piano (very old spinet)was 180+ cents
 flat when I pitch raised and tuned it close to 3 months  ago. I originally
 told him that his piano, having been neglected for many years, would very
 likely need to be tuned again in about 3 months, (How's that for timing?)
 due to the years of neglect and the fact that it was so flat, not to mention
 the sheer age and overall condition of the piano.

 So, i asked him if he would like to schedule a follow-up tuning, and that it
 probably would NOT need another pitch raise, (as I had left it a little
 sharp, anticipating another, albeit lesser drop) just a basic tuning, and i
 quoted him my basic tuning fee. WOW! He immediatey asked ... "Don't you
 guarantee your work?" (I Didn't see that one coming, so i asked him what he
 meant.) He continued... "Well, the piano seems to have kinda gone out of
 tune and I didn't expect to have to pay you AGAIN to tune it."
 I reminded him of what i had told him when i first tuned his piano, and that
 pianos cannot be "guaranteed" to stay in tune indefinitely, especially a
 piano that had been so severely neglected and was so  flat. Then he
 said.."well, I just don't have the money right now." I did what i could to
 be "diplomatic", and ended the conversation by thanking him for calling, and
 to please call again when his situation changes, and i would be happy to
 schedule a follow-up tuning. I am wondering how other list members have
 dealt with this type of situation. Thanks.

 Terry Peterson
 Associate Member PTG
 Los Angeles, CA

 Hi Terry,

Educating your customer is the best way I feel to resolve situtations like
this.  You went that route it appears when you first encountered the piano,
the customer didn't hear or want to hear it though.  I would mail him the
Pitch Raising Technical Bulletin and the How To Take Care Of Your Piano
brochure the Guild offers.  In my experience with similar situtations this
has brought the customer around to a fuller understanding of the stability
(or lack there of) of the piano.

Like somebody posted once on this list, "The only thing I guarantee is that
the piano will go out of tune."

Hope this helps.

Doug Mahard