EBVT compared with FAC Prg for same`

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:59:52 -0500

You make a very good point regarding the need to go beyond plugging in FAC
numbers, using offsets and expecting a great Valotti (or whatenver HT)
tuning on the piano. Such use of the SAT (or any other VTD) is nothing more
than a machine tuning (even if only used for ET) that might be OK (perhaps
on a well-scaled piano) or more likely be off ranging from a bit to LOTS!

I have only tuned a few pianos with the Valotti, Young and Meantone HTs. In
the absense of any suitable aural checks for these tunings - and lack of
knowlegde of how to tune them aurally - what I did was to work out an ET
tuning (with appropriate aural checks) that I was happy with (essentially an
aurally modified FAC tuning - as are all my tunings) and record this in the
SAT (there are a variety of methods to save the tuning). After I am happy
with the ET, I enter the HT offsets to that tuning and proceed to "machine"
tune the piano with the SAT. Actually, most of the pianos I have tried HTs
on are pianos that I had tuned previously and have an established ET tuning
for them.

I'm no expert (just getting into the adequate range) ET tuner. Only
experimenting with HTs. Is mine a logical approach that is likely to yield
good results?

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida