Rim Construction

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:22:22 -0600

>How about other North American manufacturers in the past? Are old Mason &
>Hamlin laminated hard maple? What is the nature of 1890 to 1930 Knabe, A. B.
>Chase, Chickering, Henry F. Miller, and other "good" manufacturer's rim
>construction? Of course, I am not looking for specifics of each model, but
>rather generalities. I know nothing of these rims. Anyone?
>
>Terry Farrell

Masons are maple laminate, and I think Knabes came both laminated, and
block. From a performance standpoint, there doesn't seem to be a real
difference between laminated and built up block rims, as long as it's a
good hardwood. Rigid and massive is the intent, with a heavy maple belly
rail ideally, and lots of bracing. I have no idea how spruce rims work.

Now, about the other 7,283 things that make a good piano...

Ron N