Rim Construction

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:07:05 -0600

>How about other North American manufacturers in the past? Are old Mason &
>Hamlin laminated hard maple? What is the nature of 1890 to 1930 Knabe, A. B.
>Chase, Chickering, Henry F. Miller, and other "good" manufacturer's rim
>construction? Of course, I am not looking for specifics of each model, but
>rather generalities. I know nothing of these rims. Anyone?

Hi Terry,
             The Canadian made Heinzman, often refered to as the Canadian S
& S.
Made earlier rims from oak.  This would not have been a money choice,
Canada had lots of Maple, and in bygone days,it would have been the cheaper
material.
An observation, rarely do we find 80yr old boards loose on the rim, in this
neck of the woods.
Rim/board joint failure sems to be greater with maple rims. No real
evidence just a gut feel.
Regards Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.