Pitch raising on older pianos

Patrick C. Poulson ppoulson@jps.net
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:15:24 -0700

Hi Terry! I don't have any firsthand knowledge of tuners who won't do a
pitch raise, but I have heard from customers in the past about very elderly
tuners who had gotten too frail to attempt the work involved in a major
pitch raise, and would only tune the piano where it was. I recall one
customer who said they had been using the same quite elderly tuner for so
long, that they didn't have the heart to discontinue using his services.
They would have him come out and "tune" the piano, and then have another
tuner come out and retune properly.  I hope that I know when its time for me
to hang up the tuning hammer, long before I reach that point.  Patrick
Poulson, RPT