Pitch raising on older pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 07:19:56 -0400

Friends,

I wrote many moons ago that I am almost paranoid about breaking strings.  I got
over some of that.  However, I have two clients with pianos that I've been
servicing regularly over about ten years with relatively little problem.  Then,
all of a sudden, two single-wound strings tear during the same tuning!  Call me
a wimp, but I find it almost impossible to get myself to go back, even though
I'm not causing the breakage.  At least the one had overlapping coils.

Clyde