False Beats ??

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 14:23:34 -0500

>   This is about using cheap wood for bridges and their caps.  You have loose
>bridge pins and they will produce false beats until replaced with larger
>ones, or the holes have a treatment like CA or expoxy.   Angle of the pins
>may be a factor in the durability of the wood, but I believe it is primarily
>a materials problem
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Not necessarily. The same loose pinned false beats happen in the revered
"FinestKind" pianos of world renown. Poor quality soft cap material will
aggravate the process, but wide humidity swings will make pins loose in the
best cap. Also, I've gotta whack you about the oversized bridge pin
suggestion. DON'T DO IT!!! It increases the stagger angle, stresses the
wood, and accelerates the damage rate. Better to epoxy or CA an original
size pin. Pin angle probably is a factor, but I don't know to what degree.

Ron N