False Beats ??

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 21:42:04 +0200

"Larry J. Messerly" wrote:

> Bridge pins may be loose in the wood.  Try gently tapping them in deeper.
> Larry Messerly, RPT
> Prescott/Phoenix

Yes yes... I have done that on a number of occasions to pianos... but never
with such results as this. I am telling you, any and all false beatings were
completely, and I mean completely eliminated while I held down the pressure.
Tone clarity seemed improved as well. Surely this speaks of some kind of
string to bridge contact situation...??? but then just what that really
entails.. Cant think it has to do with increased mass from the screw driver
as the result was variable in relationship to the amount of pressure I
applied. It was weird...as I increased the pressure the false beating
slowed..until at some point of increased pressure on the pin it simply
dissapeared..
--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.