False Beats ??

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 21:47:31 +0200

Don wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> You have effectively increased the mass and therefore the moment of inertia
> of the bridge pin. I would be very tempted to try a drop of thin CA glue on
> the pins--even if they appear to be tight.

Hmmm I was thinking of this possibility as well.. but it seemed a bit unlikely..
not much mass in the thin screwdriver... seemed more related to downward
pressure on the bridge by the pin (or perhaps by anything that could apply the
pressure ???) or perhaps an increase in the stiffness of the bridge pin ???

I will try and apply some CA to the next one of these I run into... I have
several at the UiB that exhibit the same kinda falsness. Still, as I said in
other replies.. I was amazed at the completness of the elimination of beats...
and by the slowing down of the beating directly relating to the amount of
pressure I applied.

Couldnt help thinking there must be some way to modify the bridge / bridgepin
configuration to create this situation on a more permanant basis.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.