False Beats ??

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 17:57:53 -0600

Hi Richard,
                  Mostly good advice thus far, I shy away from over sized
pins, seen enough damage done with that approach.
My preference is to use thin West system epoxy, and replace the pins with
the longer, pointed tip type.  Measure the depth of the holes, ( this can
be done with a piece of piano wire) you may find some suprise's. If you
have some obvious too deep pin holes, half fill them with epoxy, let it
cure and re drill to the correct depth with the correct sized drill bit.
The pins need to be anchored to the bottom, to prevent eventual flag poling
from continuous humidity swings.
Use a hair drier to warm the epoxy it will run like water, it will fill any
little nook or cranny.
While the pins are out, carefully check the notches, and clean them up, a
good sharp chisel is need for this. Have some acetone nearby to clean any
excess epoxy, ideally you want some to squeeze out when you bottom the pin,
that way you know that all cavities are filled.
You will not only get rid of the false beats, but increase the sustain and
power.
The CA approach is a faster method,  but in my opinion not as complete.
Remember to file the tops of the pins, just to make it look pretty. ( if
you replace them)
Regards Roger.

At 06:38 PM 01/09/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi guys and gals....
>
>Had an interesting experience today on a Petrof console. This this was
>plagued with some really nasty false beats in the treble (actually all over
>the place, but especially in the treble). By acident I noticed something
>today I have never run into before.
>
>Placing a straight slot screwdriver between two bridge pins, and wedging
>one of them over so as to slightly increase the sideways pressure on the
>string totally eliminated the false beats. I thought maybe this had
>something to do with the screwdriver coming in contact with two bridge
>pins, so I tried just pushing sideways a bit on one pin and the same thing.
>Repeated this on about 15 strings with false beats and the same thing every
>time. We are not talking just a reduction of the false beatings intensity..
>It out and out disapeared. Course it comes back when you release the
>pressure... but this got me scratching my head.
>
>What is this all about ??... What does the type of material used in bridge
>pins have to do with all of this, or for that matterer angle at which the
>pin is inserted. Anybody run into this before, and if so what practical use
>is it ??
>

>--
>Richard Brekne
>RPT, N.P.T.F.