Plate Location Holes/New Piano

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 01 Sep 2000 22:59:34 -0500

>Ron, Del, other belly folks, do any manufacturers drill plate relocating
>holes as part of original construction? In particular, Boston. I have two
>1/4" or 3/8" holes around the perimeter of a Boston grand plate. The piano
>is fairly new. I wonder if this means that someone has taken the plate out
>for some reason. Wadaya think?
>
>Terry Farrell

This came up a few months ago regarding Steinway plate locator holes and
the unfortunate fact that the plate hole so rarely matched the hole
beneath. Not having ever worked for a manufacturer, I can't say from first
hand experience, but having attempted to build a number of pretty peculiar
things requiring some degree of accurate indexing between parts, so I'd say
yes - and no. The holes were drilled for indexing, whether it was for
drilling plate holes, locating bridges, positioning the plate in the case,
or all of the above. It's most likely original factory locator holing,
rather than anything done later.

Ron N