Offering Advice to Clients who want to "Upgrade" their piano

N Luehrmann n_luehrmann@hotmail.com
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 10:00:11 CDT

>From: "Eugenia Carter" <ginacarter@carolina.rr.com>
>Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 19:35:56 -0700

>Axiom #1: A technician should never place him/herself in the position to
>make the final decision for a client.

>Axiom #2: A technician should, therefore, never place him/herself
>responsible for a client's final decision.

I would agree with you 100 percent, but.....

There is little in the way of research to warn a buyer of the many
"problematic" pianos in the marketplace.  Larry Fine, offers some nice
insights, but he is very political in his remarks, and his "reviews", if you
can call them that, are more like "Car & Driver" than "Consumer Reports".

I guess I would feel pretty bad if I hadn't offered my client advice (not a
definitive final decision) and she came to me, with pride in her eyes,
telling me she had just bought a Pearl River, or even worse, an infamous
Bachendorff (one of those pseudo-German junk Chinese pianos).

I would never put myself in a position to force my client into purchaseing
one particular piano, but should I offer advice so she can make a wise and
informed decision on her own - absolutely.

The nice thing about this "Guide" that im putting together is that it wont
just be my suggestions or opinions, but hopefully from hundreds of pianists
& technicians.  Thus seperating myself even farther from the "Final
Decision".

My goal is to make a very thorough guide which can be simply handed to a
client for them to use or discard at their discretion, but at the very least
I will sleep at night knowing I did my best to keep them from buying a
Bachendorff.

Nils Luehrmann

btw: Thank you to those that have already started sending me their ratings.
A few have surprised me, and thus confirmed I dont know enough about many of
these 7' pianos.  I'm really looking forward to more of your installments.