Inquiry

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 13:33:11 -0400

I suggest to take the salvage value of that piano in your area ($5,000??? -
maybe more if it is a fancy case and the soundboard is crowned nicely and
strings have good downbearing everywhere). Add to it the cost of doing the
partial rebuild (strings, hammers, refinish - $6,500??? - was anything else
done?). Subtract some percentage because it has been some number of years
since the rebuild tasks were done (several years - as in maybe 5?, maybe
knock 30% off the $6,500 = $4,550). So, $5,000 + $4,550 = $9,550. Now adjust
this based on gut feeling, how the piano really rates in performance and
looks, and what you may know other similar pianos go for in the area. If it
really looks, sounds, and plays fabulous, you might go as much as double
that - only because some folks will pay that much.

One very critical question to answer, IMHO. Does the piano as it is, or with
whatever aspects of it the prospective owner is willing to improve, meet
his/her needs/expectations. That is, if the prospective owner will only
settle for absolute top performance, the piano is only worth the slavage
value, because it likely needs to be completely rebuilt.

My 3¢ worth.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida