9' Knabe query

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 08:41:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2000 7:51:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jonpage@mediaone.net writes:

> Knabe concert grand, serial number 10783
>
>  Did Knabe have a different number series for this size?
>
>  My atlas places it ~1865 but the salezman claims it to be 90
>  years old.

No other series that I know of, Jon. If it is a modern action, then the
salesman knows what he is talking about (although at that time, the wippen
will still be a little funky -- it will be tough to find an "off the shelf"
replacement). Before 1890ish, I have seen rocker actions, so this should be a
clue -- also from 1865, it won't have a full plate either.

Let us know. You have aroused my curiosity. BTW, did anyone know that Albert
Einstein owned a Knabe?

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila.,Pa.