9' Knabe query

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 03:49:43 EDT

C'mon, you guys,

There really are different series of numbers for the early 20th century 9'
American Piano Co. grands.  The Pierce Atlas does not have them.  I don't
know who does.  (was hoping Jack Wyatt did.)  I still have the pinblock from
the 9' Chickering I owned and rebuilt (with s/n stamped), low 5 digit, but
this piano HAS to be ca. 1920 to 1930.   Same design elements as the shorter
pianos of that era.  A "twin" to it, in my clientele, with a very close
serial number, was bought new by the Hollywood Bowl.

Yes, Ron, Thursday was a 1915 Estey upright with an attractive (refinished)
walnut cabinet, pretty ivories, and everything else pretty much shot.  Young
kids about to start piano, and she can't possibly get rid of this beauty for
something functional, no matter what I say.  Piano was twice flooded, and
still survives.  I'll keep trying, though I wish mother nature had been more
successful.

Bill Shull, RPT

Wish I still had that Chickering!